Definitely NOT a complete solution, but the Piper NV has added much peace of mind with the added benefit of home automation without the fuss. I love it so much I have two!
WHAT IS IT?
- Built-in peace of mind
- siren, motion & sound detection, 180 degree camera with night vision
- can be used as z-wave home automation hub
- 2-way audio to check in at home
- home vitals monitor (temp, light, humidity, sound, motion record)
WHY IT MATTERS:
- peace of mind – but will not replace true monitored security system
WHO IT’S FOR:
- family, pet owners, anyone with space to protect (home or business)
WHY SHOULD YOU TRUST ME?
- Had house broken into
- Paranoid home-owner & uber-geek with monitored home security system for over 30 years
- all-in-one design
- simple initial setup
- great online support
- reliable (over 2 years without major complaint)
- no recurring fees
- live video on demand & triggered recordings to the cloud
- anti-theft battery backup (with screw)
- z-wave compatible = can become your home automation hub
- ifttt integration
- fisheye lens distortion / limited resolution
- all units are ganged: can’t activate just 1 in multi-piper house (all or nothing)
- no outdoor solution
- many false positives with sound detection (but can easily turn it off)
- ifttt timers not accurate (but not the fault of Piper)
QUIRKS & QUESTIONABLES:
- Piper unit may act strange when batteries are low. If experiencing random weirdness, try replacing batteries.
- Admittedly I have a lot of Z-wave appliances hooked up (4 door/window sensors, 4 switches, 1 water sensor and a motion sensor), but have had some z-wave appliances not respond to Piper “rules” or commands. Solution was to force remove ALL z-wave appliances, then add them one at a time again. Happened twice but solution worked in both cases. Tedious but do-able.
TIPS, TRICKS & RECOMMENDED ACCESSORIES:
Tip: don’t place in rooms/floors where you want privacy
- not a replacement for real police-response monitored alarm system (we have both) – remember you require wifi to have it notify you
- fisheye lens is not of best resolution
- night vision mode is useful but not detailed
- Z-wave tip: have mine set to boil water and turn on my nightlight when movement is detected in the kitchen (kids are awake)
- Z-wave tip: have motion detector in garage: can tell if someone is in garage prior to entering house
- Z-wave tip: have front house lights wired via micro-switch to turn on/off house lights anywhere in the world
- Z-wave tip: can hook smart power plug up to heater to prevent frozen pipes in winter
Note to International Readers: Image and text links below will take you to your local Amazon website. But if you can’t find what you’re looking for, scroll to the bottom of this page or click here for the amazon.com links.
THANK YOU! + How To Painlessly Support Us
I hope you’ve found a few tools here that will help make your life easier and more fulfilled.
Most links and images above will take you to your local Amazon website. But if you can’t find what you’re looking for, you can scroll to the bottom of this page or click here for the amazon.com links. You can also use these links to shop at Adorama, B&H Photo and Ebay. As affiliates we get a small percentage of qualifying purchases but rest assured you won’t pay a cent more than buying it elsewhere. If you find value in NotSoAncientChineSecrets we’d be honoured with your support by using these links to start your shopping off.
You can also support this show directly at patreon.com/chineSecrets
Lastly, I’d love to hear from YOU. Please don’t be shy and hit me in the comments!
Thanks for reading and happy shopping!